Saturday, November 26, 2011

Cartoon Characters From My Youth

Yay, Listrographs! Another one from Kate Takes 5.

I do sometimes watch the garbage that children watch today and miss my own childhood and the days where cartoons only come up during specific timeslots and not the whole day on one channel, or ten, for the children to watch the whole day and scream the whole day, whenever you attempt to switch the channel to something less annoying. Oh, the days without cable. The days without hundreds of channel listings for five-six people to argue about.

But well... Time has progressed eh. And whatever stupid clichés people can think of that make most unacceptable things somewhat acceptable.




  1.  Arthur 

I loved Arthur. Do you know who this Arthur kid was? I loved the theme song to bits. Even today, at the age of 25, I still find myself humming this when I am hoovering or doing the dishes. I still don't know what exact animal him and his family are. Gerbils? Guinea Pigs? Hamsters? Rats? ... Non-shelled Armadillos? Fuck knows, but I still love him and his happy theme song. 


     2.  The Magic School Bus


It was because of Ms. Frizzle that all Science teachers around that time were deemed shit and uncool. Why bother attending classes when we can sit at home and watch all of our recorded Magic School Bus episodes on VHS? Why? 


   3. Jem




Ooooh, Jem! Oh, Bratz, you offspring of equally sad Barbies, you. You haven't got the ounce of attitude these girls had. 



    4. Thundercats




Ho boy... Was I frothing at the mouth when I found out a bunch of artists had come together to do a re-make of this cartoon early this year. 



   5. Care Bears


 So mindlessly cute and stupid, I couldn't resist in what I was hoping during the years I was mindlessly cute... And stupid. 

You can still hear the words 'Oy, fuck off. I AM Funshine! Go for Brave Heart or whatever. That one that wasn't even a bear!' come out of my mouth. 

We never grow up. Maybe we just don't want to. 

20 comments:

  1. Oh, forgot about the Care Bears! How could I forget the Care Bears?! Can tell you're a little bit younger than me from your choices, funny how everyone shows their age in these types of listography lol! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did not know most of these but then I think our choices reflect our age. Care bears mean a lot to my youngest though so maybe they are having a revival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah hahaha. It's also interesting to see how cartoons and children's entertainment have progressed throughout the years. Checked your list out and you reminded me of Count Duckula! Ahahahahaha that was quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate: That's true. I'm a late 80s baby so mainly the junk I watch are around early 90s ^_^ It'd be interesting if Care Bears make a revival. Makes it interesting to be sitting with our kids and be all warm and fuzzy inside. Like Dads and their sons with Transformers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jem, The Magic School Bus and Arthur were favs of mine too but aren't on my list, there are so many to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this list, I would still totally watch all of these and do watch a number of them with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one I didn't know was Thundercats, but I agree with all the others... and I too, still love Arthur. Luckily I have two boys, and can watch and pretend it's for them... and thanks to you, I now have the theme song stuck in my head.

    And Jem... what can I say about Jem? I used to run home from school not to miss her... and I don't run for anything. LOL Great POst!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard of Jem and the Magic School Bus, must check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the Care Bears, they're on my list too. Never seen any of the other ones though but I guess that's because I grew up in Germany. I have heard of Thundercats though *proud face*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahahahahah, Kate!

    I still love Jem's theme's song. Sadly, my knowledge of the song lyrics go up to 'Ooooh, Jem. Jem is my name. Ooooh, Jem!' Repeat. That song is so great when you want to get your Cyndi Lauper groove on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg! Totally took me back with Jem! I would never have remembered that but I loved it and even had my own jem doll!! awsomeness!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your last line is so true - growing older, yes. Growing up, no.

    I agree - Jem was way cooler than Bratz!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, Thundercats - definitely on my list

    ReplyDelete
  14. Care Bears and Jem on my list too! LOVED Jem - always wished to be her :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Synergy! Loved Jem. And I have some Care Bears books for my toddler. I totes put Thundercats on my list too. Did you know that Arthur is still on every freaking day here? On public access, no less! I watch it too much right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow yes how could I forget Jem.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What the hell is Arthur? You are so right! I have never thought about it! I loved the magic school bus too... it's a good linky, bringing back so many memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Arthur is still on everyday? Bloody hell, I have watch it on Youtube sneakily and bring up Yahoo news to replace the window when someone walks in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, the only ones I recognise here are carebears and Thundercats which I did really like! Will have to look the others up x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...